புதன், 2 நவம்பர், 2022

Prof. Dr. Arunachalam, HOD - A Gentle Threat

Prof. Dr. Arunachalam, HOD - A Gentle Threat

The year was 1982 and it was the most exciting for me yet. I passed my +2 exams and got my admission to do B.Com in Voorhees College, Vellore and I just couldn't wait for the college to start. And it started! First day at college and I along with a few of my high school friends reached the College Entrance the only thing that stood out was, right in front of the college there we two movie theatres Taj and Apsara. All I had in mind was “Wow, this is good, I could go to movies any time I want” and don't even have to plan for it!


We walked into the classroom and found our own seats and came our office attendant and yelled, “ HOD is on the way, keep quiet”!

I asked him, “what is HOD” and learned that the answer was “Head of the Department”! Then he walked in”.  Prof. Arunachalam.



A neatly combed hairstyle and clean shaved face, thick spectacles, and an untucked shirt with a smile that would anytime change into anger.


We all stood up and wished him and after asking us to introduce ourselves he moved a few of our seatings and for some reason “yours faithfully” got moved as well.


I can still remember his introduction speech,


“Students, those of you who walked through my main entrance must have noticed these two theatres with big movie posters. Let me advise you, make sure to keep yourself away from those two theatres and you can graduate and get away from college. Otherwise, you'd be coming back to write arrears, forever!”


“Any one of you know what is an arrear?”


There was no reply and he continued. 


“Arrears is something that you don't want to know about. When you fail a subject you need to write again until you pass and these failed subjects are called Arrears”.


He continued,


“If you all be regular to your classes and complete the assignments on time, then you don't need to worry about arrears”!


“Does any one of you know what is an Assignment”?


Again there was no reply and he continued,

“It's what you called “homework” at school”


He was there for a few more minutes and instructed us on “Dos and Donts”, and my first impression of him was” Don't mess with him, he means business”


The next three years couldn't have gone faster and developed I had a “Love-hate” relationship with him and I didn't have to cross paths with him as I” kept avoiding a direct encounter with him.


During those three years, I realized that Prof. Arunachalam was a “Nallavanukku Nallavan” and you wouldn't want to be in his bad books. He went out of the way to help the students who were interested in their studies and went even further to discipline those who didn't.


My favorite attire those days was “Jeans and T-shirts” and he couldn't stand that. Many a time he picked on me and said, “antha koni paiyai thooki pottuttu nalla iron panna pant shirt pottunu vaango” in his own Telugu-flavored Tamil.


When most of the other Professors started driving their own “Bajaj Chetak”, Prof Arunachalam was still walking to college, and years later I realized that he never learned to ride a bicycle.


I passed the B Com course and applied for M Com and I was asked to go and meet him one on one which I dreaded. He pretty much said there were so many other deserving students who take their studies seriously and given a choice he would rather give the seat to someone else, not me.


I hated him for that but still came out respecting him for shooting straight and not sugarcoating. He was teaching us “Business Law” during our MCom classes and at the time, I had pretty much changed my lifestyle and study pattern and was more regular in classes.


I was really surprised when he suggested my name for the Commerce Dept Secretary post and while introducing he did say that, “ I always knew something about this student and if only he takes his life seriously, he will go places”.  I was really taken aback by hearing that and worked even harder to get his attention. I also started admiring Prof Arunachalam more, when I learned many of my other young professors were his students and how well he treated those students as his colleagues and fellow lecturers.


In short, Prof Arunachalam was a man with tough love and wanted the best for every deserving student. I have been a beneficiary of his discipline, and wealth of knowledge.


Years later, when I heard he unexpectedly died of a heart attack, I couldn't help but cry. He was a good man and gone too soon.


Thank you HOD Prof . Arunachalam, you played an important role in my life and shaped me to be a better person and become what I am today. I am always indebted to you for that.


About me: My name is Visuvasam Titus Cornelius and I did BCom and Mcom in Voorhees (1983-1987 Batch). I now reside in California, USA, and work as a CPA.


vishcornelius@gmail.com


கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...