வியாழன், 3 நவம்பர், 2022

S Kumars’ the Fabric of Undivided Attention"


S Kumars’ the Fabric of India!



One couldn't escape these words if they had a TV in the early 80s in India. S Kumars was renowned for making fine suits, and its commercials were impeccably done with good models, catchphrases, and undeniably caught one's attention, and I was no exception.

Professor S. Kumar

When you think of Professor S. Kumar, the first thing that comes to mind is his meticulous punctuality and disciplined lifestyle. Professor Kumar was a man of few words, and the few words he spoke would unquestionably enhance one's wisdom.

I crossed paths with Professor Kumar during my third semester when he was our Professor for Business Statistics. I never had any regard, respect, or fondness for Statistics, strongly believing in the saying: "There are three types of lies: Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics." My thought process in those days was, why would anyone want to learn Statistics?

Professor Kumar, after introductions, said, “Well, if any of you are interested in pursuing CA after your BCom, you better do well in statistics." He continued, “You see, the other theory subjects wouldn't give you high marks, whereas in statistics, you can score high marks, which would positively impact your overall percentages, necessary for your eligibility for CA.”

Well, that caught some of our attention, and Professor Kumar taught well. He was amazed when he found out that I passed the statistics exam, but he couldn't believe it when he saw me in Master's classes. Unable to contain his curiosity, he said, "Siva poojaiyil karadikku enna velai?" and I replied, "Neenga yaen sir karadi pora idathula poojai panreenga?"

We exchanged pleasantries, and he once again insisted on me paying undivided attention.

He was our Professor for Business Statistics during our Master's, and I was fortunate. One valuable lesson I learned from Professor Kumar’s classes is that one doesn't have to keep studying for hours and hours. Just give your undivided attention in the classroom, and you don't have to worry about anything else.

During my college days, I don't think I ever skipped a class with Professor Kumar, as I knew that skipping his class once meant needing to work four times harder to learn and understand the same thing.

Professor Kumar was right. Business Statistics is one subject where one can score high marks, and I ended up getting more than expected.

He had a serious demeanor but concealed uncanny humor within him. When he was teaching Probabilities, his first quote was, “Does anyone know what probability is?” and he continued, “Well, probability is something like, what are the chances that something might or might not occur!”

When someone asked him to provide an example, he said, “The probability of Visu passing this subject is 0% if he doesn't change his attitude,” but if he changes his attitude and focuses, the probability would be close to 80%!

You could always walk into the Department office, meet Professor Kumar, and ask him any doubt, and he would be more than happy to oblige with a smiling face. He was as charming as the men in S Kumar's commercials.

Professor Kumar! You might not remember me, but trust me, you helped me a lot. When I cleared my CPA exams in the USA, someone asked me, “Dude, these are pretty tough exams, how did you do that?” My answer was, “Thanks to one of my Professors. He taught me the value of paying undivided attention”!

Thank you, Sir!



PS:


About me: My name is Visuvasam Titus Cornelius and I did BCom and Mcom in Voorhees (1983-1987 Batch). I now reside in California, USA, and work as a CPA.

vishcornelius@gmail.com

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...