வியாழன், 3 நவம்பர், 2022

Prof. Abraham Jayakumar - The Future

“Mr. Cornelius, welcome! Please wait here our President and a couple of officers would start the interview soon” It was 1991 and I am getting ready to be grilled by Copenhagen-based Danish Company for the position of Senior Accountant. I was in fact surprised to get an interview call as this was a well-reputed company and a very desirable position. There were a few other candidates on the other side of the offices who looked more experienced than me, and I had convinced myself that this is going to be a good interview experience for me and there was no way I stand a chance with all these chaps.


President walked in with few others and after exchanging artificial complements he asked, “Do you know why you are the shortlisted candidate even though you don't have any experience?”!! “Well, I was surprised myself, and want to hear from you” Someone else barged in,” We were going through your certificates and noticed that you have studied “Management Information Systems” as part of your Masters's Program”!!


“Really, Err.. I mean, Yeah”

“Can you tell us about that course” “Well, you see MIS is” “What is MIS?”!!! ”Management Information System” It seems like the President was late for something else, he nodded his head gave his approval, and on the way told me, “ I would like to see all those MIS is implemented in our system”! “Of course, thanks” Little did they realize that the MIS I studied had nothing to do with computers as those were the days we didn't even have a calculator, leave alone computers. Prof Abraham Jayakumar on MIS introductory class: “Students next six months we are going to learn all about MIS”. The whole world is moving towards the computers and you don't want to miss the opportunity” The next AJ as he was known taught us all about MIS without a computer or any other peripheral. All we understood was “Input-Processing-Output” Printers are hardware and programs are software and etc. Little did I realize that one day this six months subject would land me a dream job. I took the offer and though I didnt have any prior experience in the computer environment, it took me only a few days to understand and get on top of it and I can only thank Prof. Abraham Jayakumar for instilling solid theoretical knowledge in me. He called everyone “Thambi” and was a harmless person and was very content with everything. He also came from a place called Madanur and was a student of my grandfather which put me on his watch list. I heard that Prof AJ succumbed to his illness a few years back and pray to the good Lord to bless his soul. AJ was a good man and he will surely be missed AJ. Rest in Peace, for you ran a good race!

About me: My name is Visuvasam Titus Cornelius and I did BCom and Mcom in Voorhees (1983-1987 Batch). I now reside in California, USA, and work as a CPA.

vishcornelius@gmail.com



4 கருத்துகள்:

  1. மிக நீண்ட நாட்கள்(வருடங்கள்) ஆயிற்று, தங்களின் எழுத்துக்களைப் படித்து. மகிழ்ச்சி

    பதிலளிநீக்கு
  2. நல்ல ஆசிரியர் இல்லையா! அப்ப பல கோர்ஸ் கம்ப்யூட்டர் இல்லாமதானே கற்றல் இல்லையா. அந்த அடித்தளம் நல்ல வாழ்க்கைய அமைத்துக் கொடுத்ததற்கு இறைவனுக்கும் ஆசிரியருக்கும் நன்றிகள் சொல்லிக் கொண்டே இருக்கலாம்.

    ரொம்ப நாள் வலைப்பக்கம் வரவே இல்லை விசு, இப்பதான் கண்ணில் பட்டது

    கீதா.

    பதிலளிநீக்கு

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...