புதன், 30 ஆகஸ்ட், 2023

"Second Chances" A short Story!

 

"Second Chances" A short Story!

"Dad!!!!?" screamed the high school junior. "What's up?"

"Don't forget."

"Don't forget what!?"

"You volunteered to bring pizza to our classroom at noon."

"Oh, OK."



"And remember to drop off the donation check for the golf team, as you pledged."

"Oh, OK."

"One more thing, my teacher also asked me if you could chaperone us to our concert on Wednesday evening, and I told her you would be happy to."

"Wednesday evening, oh, OK. Please remind me on Wednesday morning."

The conversation didn't end there, and Mumma had to intervene.

"We have prior commitments for Wednesday evening. Why would you agree to drive them around that day!?"

"I didn't. Your daughter agreed."

"Why would you agree to something without asking him?"

"But, Mumma, I don't have to ask him for anything when it comes to volunteering or helping the school. He literally waits for the opportunity. My friends and I even make fun of how excited he is to be volunteering."

"He needs to grow up. He thinks he's still a high schooler and gets overly excited about little school things. Next time, you don't have to check with him; check with me to see if he's available to volunteer for anything," Mumma said, frustrated.

And she left for school, but the phone rang within minutes.

"Dad."

"What's up?"

"Are you still at home?"

"Yep."

"I left my piano bag on the piano. Can you bring it at 11 AM?"

"OK."

Also, my friend says she has a severe headache. Can you get something for her from Starbucks and pick up my usual too?"

"OK!"

"This can't get worse. You need to learn to say no to her. She keeps forgetting things because she knows you're there to help her.” Mom was furious.

"Hmmm!"

"She takes advantage of you, and you don't even realize it."

"Hmmm!"

"Be a strong dad and be firm with her. Learn to say 'No,' and you don't have to volunteer for everything at her school."

"OK."

Mumma left for work. He picked up the piano bag, ordered the pizza, and was on his way to Starbucks. Mumma's words were still echoing in his ears.

"Why can't you say no to her? You don't have to volunteer for everything at school!"

As he merged onto the freeway, memories of his school days flooded his mind.

"Students, I need help from parents for next week's school picnic. We need four parents to join us. Some parents need to cook, while others can donate money for the bus. If any parent can cover the gas cost, we'd appreciate it. Here's the volunteer list; please take one home if interested. Anyone?"

Everyone jumped in, saying "Me, me, me!" Except him.

Another day, the teacher said, "We're building a model of the Taj Mahal for an inter-school competition. Parents are welcome to assist. Can any parent help us with this?"

"Miss, my mom is an architect; she can design it!"

"Teacher, my dad is an engineer."

"Miss, my dad is a skilled potter."

"My parents are out of town, but they can help with buying materials."

Everyone competed to volunteer, except him. 

He took an exit to Starbucks, tears streaming down his face. "Why can't I say no to schools? Why can't I?"

The teacher remarked, "You or your parents never volunteer for school activities, and I wonder why?"

One of his classmates chimed in, "Oh, Miss, his father passed away when he was a baby, and his mom works in another town. He stays in the hostel and can't help anyone with anything!" Laughter erupted.

At day's end, the teacher approached him. "I'm sorry. Being your new teacher, I should have learned about your parents. I apologize for hurting your feelings."

"It's OK, Miss. It's not your fault, and I'm used to the laughs."

"Let me share something, son. Life presents challenges. Convert them into opportunities and use them wisely."

"I don't get it, Miss."

"Put simply, life will challenge us. Face it with a smile. A 'Second Chance' will come someday. Spot it and use it wisely."

The phone rang again.

"Dad!"

"Yep."

"The golf team has their last match today, and the coach wonders if a parent could bring cupcakes."

"Me." That's all he could say.


3 கருத்துகள்:

  1. A story with a message! Can understand the feelings and the imprint of the script in the mind of the father! the script that was imprinted in childhood! Very touching.

    geetha

    பதிலளிநீக்கு
  2. A nice story, Visu! After a very long time.

    geetha

    பதிலளிநீக்கு
  3. Reverberates my younger school days . Memories are so fresh when stories such as this are written. Thanks Visu

    பதிலளிநீக்கு

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...