வியாழன், 3 நவம்பர், 2022

Prof Balasundaram - The Tax Man

Prof. Balasundaram - The Tax Man


“Dear Students, this is your final year in college, and 'Income Tax Practicals' is one of the toughest subjects. If you fail this subject, not only will you not obtain your degree, but you also won't be able to file any income taxes for the rest of your lives, as you wouldn't be making any income.”

It was meant to be a joke, but Prof. Balasundaram meant it.

Income Tax Practical's was a tough nut to crack, and thanks to Prof. Balasundaram, I conquered it! What's amusing is that right before the exam, Prof. gave us a model exam, and I performed so poorly. He wouldn't return my answer sheet but told me that “it was really bad” and I had to work harder.

The results came in, and I scored 62%, which was unheard of in those days. Even the so-called “Genius Grads from Auxiliam College” had to settle for second place.

Yes, I am bragging, and why not! For God's sake, it's “Income Tax Practicals”!

Prof. Balasundaram always knew his priorities correctly, and one of them was “Seivana thiruntha sei.” He not only followed that principle but also expected all of his students to follow it. He never liked me, and I wouldn't blame him for that, as I knew I wasn't a likable guy.

He took the time to teach us the toughest subjects in a way that we could understand and pass our exams. He was also an early starter, as he had some tuition centers set up and would begin teaching in the early morning.

He was dreaded during the exam days when he became the invigilator, as he would walk throughout the three hours of exams, making sure no one cheated.

I still believe in his one-on-one tax lesson, “Don't break the tax laws, but stretch it if you can.”

Thank you, Prof. Balasundaram. You not only helped me pass my Tax exam, but you are also helping me save money, as I know what "Stretching" means! :)

PS:

After receiving the 62% result in the University exams, I went back to him to thank him, and he gave me the "Model exam" answer sheet, which had 68%. I asked him, "Sir, 68% isn't bad. Why did you say that I performed poorly?" and he replied, "Well, if I gave the paper back, you would have relaxed and taken it easy, and couldn't have scored well in this exam." I am sure I secured the first position in that subject that year and am still waiting for my award.

Well played, Prof. The point is well taken.



About me: My name is Visuvasam Titus Cornelius and I did BCom and Mcom in Voorhees (1983-1987 Batch). I now reside in California, USA, and work as a CPA.


vishcornelius@gmail.com


கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...