வியாழன், 3 நவம்பர், 2022

Prof. John Gunaseelan " The Rekindler"

“தீயினார் சுட்டபுண் உள்ளாறும் ஆராதே

 நாவினால் சுட்ட வடு”


“Well, if it were anyone else, I would have sent them to the principal's office and asked them to bring their parents. But I wouldn't want to do that to you, not because I am a good guy, but because I don't want to make your mother sad!”

Professor John Gunaseelan was not angry but very sad when he said that to me. Let us not get into the "Gory Details" of what led to this conversation, which is irrelevant, but let's focus on the impact it had on me.

The professor continued, “Visu, not everyone is as blessed as you are! Use your blessings wisely. I truly believe you are smart enough to do much bigger things, and please don't let yourself, myself, and your mother down.”

And boy, did that hurt. That's when I realized the true meaning of the above-mentioned Tuhirukural.

I would say that little “chat” changed my perspective and my entire college life, in a good way.

During our “Business Communications” classes, Professor Gunaseelan once asked us to write a marketing newsletter for a product, and my product was “Razor Blades”! I don't exactly remember what I wrote, but he was pretty impressed and told me that I should seriously consider becoming a Business writer.

Well, even though I didn't become a business writer, his little nod gave me the motivation to “write”. Professor John Gunaseelan had the knack of finding wayward students and putting them back on track. He was very good at giving the right dose of “tough love”.

Twenty-Five years later, I had the pleasure of hosting a “Dinner” with friends and Professors at Vellore. As one by one walked into the hall, I could recognize each one of them. Prof. Gunaseelan walked in, and my good friend Sathyaprasath (now a professor at Voorhees) said, “Do you recognize this gentleman?”

Looking at him, I thought, "Oh my God, he looks very familiar," and I was trying to recollect which one of my classmates he was. I was really surprised when Sathyaprasath told me, “Visu, this is Prof. John Gunaseelan”. Prof. Gunaseelan looked much younger than most of his students.

After sharing compliments, the first thing Prof. Gunaseelan inquired about was the wellness of my mother. He also joked, “Visu, Isn't the American CPA exam tough?” And I blushed and told him, “could be” and “why do you say that”?

His reply was, “Well, you passed it, so I am wondering!”

My reply was, “Sir, I passed it easily because I had a strong accounting foundation. And I would be forever grateful to you for that.”

Prof. Gunaseelan was a good Christian man, and he loved the good Lord, living by the principles of Jesus Christ. Many of us were blessed by him.

Thank you, Prof. Gunaseelan. Thanks for shaping me!


About me: My name is Visuvasam Titus Cornelius and I did BCom and Mcom in Voorhees (1983-1987 Batch). I now reside in California, USA, and work as a CPA.

vishcornelius@gmail.com

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக

கடந்த சில பதிவுகள், உங்கள் கண்ணில் இருந்து தப்பி இருந்தால்...